is MsSqlSpatial right for me?

Aug 7, 2008 at 3:18 AM
Ok,

I've got an application existing, location with lat/long coords. My site like I am sure many others you provide a latlong and it'll return locations within x range etc. Its functional, but was hoping for a bit more flexibility and a bit more performance.

I've got MsSqlSpatial installed, and was trying to follow the populating the geo tables not from shape files. It would complain saying it couldnt convert int to uniqueidentifier... (which I assume is because rather than using int id's, I use guids.

I am definately going to need more of the functionality in this project, however I wont be using GIS tables or etc... just my locations with my lat/longs. I'd like to know if this is a good use of this library and wondering if somone could point me in the right direction as to creating the index tables and if there is something fundametally wrong wiht what I am trying to do...

EXECUTE ST.AddGeometryColumn 'dbo', 'zctas', 'thepoint_lonlat', 4269, 'POINT'
Thanks whats failing me with the fail between in and guid.
Thanks in advance.
Developer
Aug 7, 2008 at 10:25 AM
Hi ronnyek, I think you would find it easier to keep the int Primary Key, you can always add your uniqueidentifier column and add appropriate indexes and unique constraints. This will allow the inner workings of mssqlspatial to work as intended while allowing you to use your original 'key' as an attribute filter. As far as index tables go, there isnt really a spatial index as such - rather each table has envelope columns added  and indexed e.g yourgeometrycolumn_Envelope_MinX  and these columns are used as a 'pre filter' for some of the query functions. hth jd 
Aug 10, 2008 at 3:57 AM
Have you looked at SQL Server 2008 ? It provides a lot of the functionality that MsSqlSpatial has out of the box, and its using its built-in spatial index instead.