64 bit

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Apr 17, 2007 at 11:28 PM
Hi

quick question: does MsSqlSpatial work in a 64 bit environment?

I can test this, but if someone already has it'll save me some time.

Thanks
Apr 18, 2007 at 1:08 AM
MsSqlSpatial is 100% .NET, and .NET runs perfectly fine on 64bit. So if your MSSQL server runs 64 bit, so does MsSqlSpatial.
You will probably not see any difference in performance though. 64bit is more about getting access to larger memory arrays than about performance, and I don't think MsSqlSpatial ever uses so much memory that you hit the limit of 32bit.
Coordinator
Apr 19, 2007 at 9:15 PM
parkinsa,
In theory, it should be no problem... but one never knows when some odd implementation difference starts causing trouble. A report of your experience will be really appreciated.

Best regards,
Ricardo Stuven.
Jun 10, 2007 at 5:03 AM
I have a big problem. I am running SQL Server 2005 64bit edition and MssqlSpatial 0.1.1 and I am having major issues. I am getting "memory pressure" errors and "I/O requests taking longer than 15sec" errors as well as my performance heavily degrades over time (depending on use). I am using the ST.IsWithinDistanceQuery and ST.Distance the most. I have double checked my queries and my indexes are all preforming a seeks not scan. So I think that I have a issue with MssqlSpatial.

Server Specs:
Windows 2003 64bit
SQL Server 2005 64bit
Pentium D (Dual Core) 3.2ghz
SATA Hard drives
4 gb of DDR2 memory

I will be the first to admit that I am not a expert in MssqlSpatial, but shouldn't this be more than enough memory? If we are still in development and having problems we are not going to be able to handle launching with MssqlSpatial

I have been running into performance issues on this platform for several months and I have had suspicions, but we are in development and it was not overly apparent. However, now we are starting to connect the dots and realize all the tables that are having the issues with are the ones that have the MssqlSpatial package in use.

I really need help finding a solution to this issue. I like MssqlSpatial but I can not afford to have this delay the websites launch.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
David
Jun 10, 2007 at 5:04 AM
Edited Jun 10, 2007 at 5:04 AM
Double post. Sorry
Apr 5, 2008 at 11:05 PM

Any updates on this one. We have a system that periodically hangs until we recycle the CLR on 64 bit and have high memory utilization during some msscmd operations for importing and exporting data. By high I am referring to 4 to 6 times larger than the datasets themselves (20 GB Commit Charges on a machine only doing an import). So I would be curious to hear what you have learned over the last months.

Thanks,
Jon