This project is read-only.

Practical use...?

Topics: User Forum
May 1, 2007 at 11:52 AM
Edited May 1, 2007 at 12:42 PM
Hi.
I like this geodatabase so I am making a full geodb system on mssql with the metadata base.
I want to ask you a few things:
1. I want to make a metadata table (which would include informations like - name of a layer, creator, etc.) and will be in relations with the ST.GEOMETRY_COLUMNS. Well, in fact I don't understand the schemes - so, do I have to add this metadata table as ST.METADATA or DBO.METADATA? Is there any difference? What these schemas do?
2. How can I add new files to this geodb? I know that fdo2fdo can upload SHP/SDF files but I need more (rasters, DGN etc.). Is it possible to do it somehow?
3. Is it possible to add a new column to ST.GEOMETRYCOLUMNS (name of coordsystem)? I am afraid that if I change the structure of this table, something may go wrong...
Thank you very much
Milan
May 6, 2007 at 8:02 PM
I recommend any extension you want to make, use your own tables (ie. don't alter the ST schema). For example, if you want to add attributes associated to geometry columns, create a new table with the same key (schema, table and column names), then you can join them in a custom view.

If you want to understand ST.GEOMETRY_COLUMNS and ST.SPATIAL_REF_SYS schemas, and other fundamental concepts behind MsSqlSpatial, I suggest you to read the OGC Simple Features Specification for SQL Revision 1.1.

Best regards,
Ricardo Stuven.